Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Tribute to K9 Pete



Often times when I am at home studying or just resting for a moment, I find Pete under foot. Sometimes, it is very annoying, especially when I trip on him when I go to get up and did not realize he was there. I do that less often now because I know our time together grows ever shorter. It is a cruel trick on humanity to have a dog live such a short life, but then if they did not, we would not be blessed to know many individuals in our lifetime. I will be forever grateful to Kay Stephens for giving me this wonderful dog and to Jim Yeager for recommending me as a home despite our personal differences. Pete has been one of the finest things to ever come along in my life. I am fortunate that when he is gone I will have his son's and daughters with me to remind me and to carry on his legacy.....ah but there will never be another Pete.........I was awaken the other night and got up and wrote the poem below, I did not know when I started it was for him, but I sure did by the end. Maybe it is corny.......I don't really care.......I share it because I think there are a lot of K9 handlers who feel the same about their search dogs........anyway, its for him. Good boy Pete, that'll do.
A Tribute to K9 Pete

K9s come and K9s go
Some rise above, some fall below
But once in a while, you’ll find that star
Where nothing you reach for seems too far
Their courage is endless, their heart is true
There are no limitations, their kind is few
Through our human frailness they are the light
They never give up no matter how hard the fight
The bond that’s forged few others know
There is no master but a team unfolds
And a moment comes, when all they know
Leads them to find the lostest soul
Its not for the glory, its not for the fame
Its to help the loved ones who still remain
Give them some closure, move on with their life
With Gods hand to guide them when the time is right
He is a hero in all their hearts
The burden he’s lifted for the family starts
The healing process of letting go
Of traveling down life’s rocky road.
Then all of the training, the sweat and lost sleep
They really don’t seem like a price to steep
And in this journey that “working dog” goes
From just a K9 to a friend untold
Many years, trips and missions come to pass
And you come to realize the true friend you have
Then in the blink of an eye, it seems to me
He went from a puppy to the age I now see
His gate is slower, his muzzle now gray
His time is coming, no, he cannot stay
He taught me the lessons I never had
To lead with fairness and a just hand
He gave all he had, whenever I asked
With nothing to gain but a game that masked
The toss of a ball, the tug of a rope. 
A simple toy in return for hope
He made a difference; he had some “finds”
No one can change this, no one can hide
And in the end, I think you will see
He was a good dog, in spite of me
I’m just a conduit for the Master’s plan
And if God’s willing, I’ll get to do it again.
But never again, will be one as he
Because he changed me, a better person you see
He’s been my partner, comrade and best friend
I will enjoy and love him till the very end
I’ll take him to training every once in a while
Let him work a problem, let him make me smile
And when he’s gone, the memories I’ll  cherish
He’s forever with me, he will never truly perish
So treasure your partner, the time you share
Because before you know it, wont be much to spare
But above all else, remember the mission
To bring families closure, to find the missing…….

1 comment: